Table of Contents
- Independent vs Hired - Who brings more Value?
- Who Earns more Money?
- Understanding Revenue
- Average Revenue Generated by Primary Care Physicians, Specialists, and All Physicians
- Independent Physicians are loosing ground
- Per Merritt Hawkins Report
- The Business of Health Care Depends on Exploiting Doctors and Nurses
- Challenges in Private Practice
- You are responsible for complete Care delivery workflow
- Factors to consider
- Should I choose to be an Independent Physician or Employed?
- Robinson JC, Miller K. Total Expenditures per Patient in Hospital-Owned and Physician-Owned Physician Organizations in California. JAMA [Internet]. 2014 Oct 22 [cited 2022 Jan 24];312(16):1663. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25335148/
- Small Primary Care Physician Practices Have Low Rates Of Preventable Hospital Admissions | Health Affairs Journal [Internet]. Health Affairs. 2017 [cited 2022 Jan 24]. Available from: https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2014.0434
$2.4 million a year net for every doctor they employ. No wonder they want – and can afford -- to lure doctors into indentured employment
- 2019 Physician Inpatient/Outpatient Revenue Survey [Internet]. Merritthawkins.com. 2019 [cited 2022 Jan 24]. Available from: https://www.merritthawkins.com/news-and-insights/thought-leadership/survey/2019-physician-inpatient-outpatient-revenue-survey/
Per Merritt Hawkins Report
- Physician Practice Benchmark Survey [Internet]. American Medical Association. ; 2019 [cited 2022 Jan 24]. Available from: https://www.ama-assn.org/about/research/physician-practice-benchmark-survey
- Popa R. 33 statistics to know about employed vs. independent physicians — Salary, practice setting shift & more [Internet]. Beckersasc.com. 2020 [cited 2022 Jan 24]. Available from: https://www.beckersasc.com/benchmarking/33-statistics-to-know-about-employed-vs-independent-physicians-salary-practice-setting-shift-more.html
- Contracting - Contracting with Insurers
- Administrative Tasks - Lead to burnout
- HealthIT - EHR Death by a thousand clicks & Cybersecurity
- Who is Happier?
- Career satisfaction rate
- 72 percent for employed physicians
- 73 percent for self-employed physicians
- Depends on your personality
- Do you enjoy management task/ have skills?
- Do you prefer to be your own boss?
- Is your choice of Specialty highly dependent on being in a health system?
- Is your Location highly dependent on being in a health system?
- Is your choice of Specialty highly dependent on care team and multidisciplinary care?
CEO | Founder | President NeuroCare.AI - Advancing Digital Health Ecosystem in Emerging Countries!